Massage Therapy Specialist Questions and Answers
Massage therapy is used to help manage a health condition or enhance wellness. At Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weight Loss Clinic we offer different types of massages as per individual needs. For more information, call us today or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 7200 N May Ave Suite A Oklahoma City, OK 73116.
Table of Contents:
What is massage therapy?
What health concerns can massage therapy help?
Massage therapy for pain relief
Massage therapy for autoimmune disorders
Massage therapy for maternity and newborn care
What are the benefits of massage therapy?
What massage treatments are available at Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weight Loss Clinic?
Massage therapy uses hands-on manipulation of the body’s soft tissues – specifically the muscles, joints, connective tissue, tendons and ligaments – to optimize health and well-being by acting on the muscular, nervous and circulatory systems and relieving the effects of pain and stress.
Research into massage therapy has shown it to play a safe and effective role in pain relief, autoimmune disorders, pregnancy and childbirth, among others.
• Low Back Pain – can help decrease pain, reduce disability and lower anxiety/depression in people with low back pain.
• Fibromyalgia – can help by relieving pain, improving quality of life and decreasing anxiety, stiffness, fatigue and more.
• Post-Operative Pain – recent research shows that massage therapy can significantly reduce pain, anxiety and muscular tension in clients recovering from surgical procedures, helping to reduce complications in their recovery.
• Cancer – can relieve pain, stress, nausea, depression, anxiety, and fatigue and has been particularly effective in eliminating surgery-related pain.
• Arthritis – can help to significantly reduce pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, as well as improving grip strength and range of motion in arms and wrists affected by rheumatoid arthritis.
Autoimmune diseases can affect any part of the body, and one of the main benefits of massage therapy for someone suffering from one such disorder is the provision of natural, non-pharmacological pain relief, as well as helping to relieve stress, easing anxiety and depression, and improving sleep.
Recent research suggests that massage therapy may provide benefits throughout a woman’s pregnancy as she experiences physiological, anatomical and psychological changes. Prenatal massage can help with the following:
• Back pain during pregnancy
• Labor pain during childbirth (helping to increase a woman’s sense of control)
• Post-operative pain, anxiety, and stress
Massage therapy can also help during labor, childbirth and postpartum and has been shown to play a vital role in newborn care.
The role of massage therapy in integrative healthcare has become widely recognized in many major hospitals and medical practices. There is substantial evidence to show that massage therapy is key to the management of many important health conditions, such as chronic pain management, mental health treatment, rehabilitation and physical training, and acute medical conditions.
Massage therapy has shown to significantly reduce stress, both physically and psychologically, and is effective in treating anxiety disorders by increasing the neurotransmitters associated with lowering anxiety and decreasing hormones associated with raising anxiety. It is also showing promise as a complementary treatment when used alongside psychotherapy and (in some cases) medication in alleviating depression and seasonal affective disorder.
Studies have shown that massage therapy has a wide range of benefits in the arena of post-surgical care following surgeries such as abdominal surgery, hip replacement surgery and cardiac/cardiothoracic surgery. These benefits include:
• Reducing post-operative pain
• Diminishing post-operative pain stress and anxiety
• Decreasing doses of pain relief
• Increasing feelings of well-being
• Reducing inflammation and scar tissue
• Helping to regain a full range of motion without discomfort
• Helping to realign muscles and joints
At Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weight Loss Clinic we are pleased to provide hot stone massage, couples massage, pregnancy massage and sports massage to help our clients feel healthier, less stressed and renewed. If you would like to know more about the massage therapy options, we offer and which one is right for you, contact Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weight Loss Clinic today. We are located at 7200 N May Ave. Suite A, Oklahoma City, OK 73116 and serve clients from the surrounding areas. We look forward to meeting you! We serve clients from Oklahoma City OKC, Midwest City OKC, Del City OKC, Valley Brook OKC, Forest Park OKC, Nichols Hills OKC, Bethany OKC, Spencer OKC, and Valley Brook OKC.
Additional Services You May Need
Additional Services You May Need